Outsourcing in the IT industry is slowly becoming a major breakthrough among businesses of all sizes. Even businesses who do not necessarily engage in IT directly choose to outsource the IT function of their businesses to more capable experts. For G2000 companies, a reported 92% of them opt to outsource their IT, which has driven the global spending on IT outsourcing to around 530 billion USD in 2021. The sheer volume of this is testament to the effectiveness of outsourcing when it comes to handling the complex world of IT — and it’s even expected to double by 2030!
Can growing businesses make use of outsourcing the same way these large corporations can? Well, of course they can! For small businesses that are looking to scale, outsourcing IT doesn’t have to be as intimidating as it appears to be. Just make sure to follow these 10 tips to successfully outsource your company’s IT services:
1. Define your goals and expectations: Before linking up with an outsourcing provider, make sure to clearly define your goals and expectations for the project. What particular services do you need? What processes do you intend to cover? What are the outcomes you expect to come out at the end of the year? And of course, what your budget is and how many people you’re looking to outsource. This will help your outsourcing partner lay the groundwork for a hiring plan and prepare the training needed to onboard your team.
2. Choose the right outsourcing partner: 65% of business outsource in order to enable focus on core functions. You too can enjoy this, so it’s imperative to connect with the right outsourcing partner with solid experience in your industry. Check their reputation, reviews, and references to ensure they have a track record of successful projects.
3. Establish clear communication channels: Put up clear and consistent communication channels with your outsourcing partner to align yourselves. Think about how often you will communicate with your team, what platforms to use (such as email, phone, video conferencing), and who the main point of contact will be.
4. Set smart, realistic timelines: Make sure to define realistic timelines for each stage of the project. Recruitment to hire the most qualified individuals definitely won’t happen overnight, and more time is needed to further get your team synced with your operations.
5. Ensure data security: IT is a blanket term that encompasses several areas: your data security, your network setup, and all the specific IT services you give out. Hence, making sure all your data is secure is a top concern. These days, even 83% of IT leaders are now considering their security. When outsourcing, make sure your partner is capable of sustaining this frequent exchange of information with an up-to-date IT infrastructure for your team, as well as a breach-free and stable network. FGC+ has robust security measures in place to protect your data.
6. Monitor performance: Regularly monitor the performance of your outsourcing partner to ensure that they are meeting your expectations. This includes monitoring project milestones, deadlines, and quality of work. A reputable outsourcing provider like FGC+ can handle the management of your team as they work under you.
7. Provide feedback: Provide regular feedback to your outsourcing partner to ensure that they are meeting your expectations and addressing any issues or concerns.
8. Maintain a good working relationship: Establishing a good working relationship with your outsourcing partner is key to the success of the project. This includes treating them as part of your team, showing appreciation for them, and addressing any immediate concerns that can impede their work.
9. Embrace collaboration: Collaboration between your internal team and your outsourcing partner can help to ensure that the project is a success. Encourage open communication, sharing of ideas and best practices, and joint problem-solving.
10. Measure results: Once the project is complete, measure the results against your initial goals and expectations. This will help you to assess the success of the project and identify areas for improvement. FGC+ helps create KPIs catered to your operations to continuously measure performance — making sure they hit the right notes when it comes to your operations.
In conclusion, outsourcing IT services can be a valuable strategy for businesses, especially if they’re aiming to reduce costs and at the same time utilize a team with specialized skills under their belt. By following these 10 tips, you can successfully outsource your company’s IT services and achieve your business objectives.